+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Combining Prayer when it Rains!

Default Combining Prayer when it Rains!

Salam,

What is classified as a "rainy day", which makes it permissible to combine Dhuhr & Asar and Maghrib & Isha?

Please provide evidence.

Jzk.

Volume 2, Page 117: Combining two prayers during rain

Al-Athram records in his Sunnan that Abu Salamah ibn 'Abdurrahman said: "It is a sunnah to combine the maghrib and 'isha prayers when it is raining." Al-Bukhari records that the Prophet sallallahu alehi wasallam combined the maghrib and 'isha prayers on a rainy night.

A summary of the opinions of the different schools of fiqh on this point follows:

The Shaf'i school says that it is allowed for the resident to combine the zuhr and 'asr or the maghrib and 'isha, praying each pair in the time of the earlier salah only, given that it is raining when one begins the earlier prayer and it is still raining by the time one begins the second prayer.

According to the Maliki school, it is allowed to combine the maghrib and 'isha in the mosque at the time of the maghrib due to rain or expected rain, if there is mud and darkness along the way, or if there is a lot of mud and it prevents the people from wearing their shoes. Nevertheless, he dislikes that the zuhr and 'asr should be combined due to rain.

According to the Hanbali school, it is only allowed to combine the maghrib and 'isha in the time of the former or the latter due to snow, ice, mud, severe cold, or rain which soaks the clothes. This concession is allowed only for one who prays with a congregation in the mosque and who comes from a distance over which he could be harmed by the rain. However, for one who prays in a congregation in his house or whose path to the mosque is covered or protected, or for one whose house is right next to the mosque, it is not allowed to combine the salah.

http://www.ahlalhdeeth.com/vbe/showthread.php?t=5162

How much rain is required before combining?
    Does it have to be raining when you start praying?

What is the hanafi opinion on this? And does this mean that combining can only be done at the time of the earlier prayer or can it also be prayed at the later time (ie at asr instead of at zuhr)? Oh and one other thing; what you mentioned in your post was regarding the difficulty of prayers when there is rain due to the paths turning to mud etc, if anyone can confirm inshAllah, I'd also like to know if these circumstances (ie muddy streets) are a reason in themselves for combining prayers during rain, or would the permissibility to combine prayers during rain still be applicable where there are no muddy paths and the prayers can be conducted easily in spite of the rain?

As for joining in the rain, this is due to what was narrated from Abu Salamah bin Abdurrahman who said: "Of the Sunnah is that joining between maghrib and esha when it is a rainy day" (narrated by Al-Athram). His saying ?of the Sunnah? is directed to the Sunnah of the Messenger of Allah (saw) so it becomes a hadith.

Hisham bin Urwah said: "I saw Aban bin Uthman joining maghrib and esha between the two prayers in a rainy night. And Urwah bin Az-Zubair, and Abu Salamah bin Abdurrahman and Abu Bakr bin Abdurrahman prayed them with him. They did not deny it and there is no opponent known in their period so it was ijma" (narrated by Al-Athram).

And due to what was narrated from ibn Umar ?that the Prophet (saw) joined in Madinah between the dhuhr and ?asr in the rain.? And due to what was narrated from Jabir bin Zaid from ibn Abbas ?that the Prophet (saw) prayed in Madinah seven and eight dhuhr and ?asr and maghrib and esha. Ayyub said: Perhaps it were a rainy night? He said: Perhaps? (narrated by Al-Bukhari) i.e. Ayyub Al Sakhtiyani said to Jabir bin Zaid who is Abu As-Sha'atha: Perhaps this joining was on a rainy night, and he said to him: Perhaps it is as you say.
    The likelihood of rain was also asserted by Malik immediately after he extracted this hadith. All these ahadith indicate as a whole the permissibility of joining in rain in advance of by postponement.

What is intended by rain is what is generalised as rain which is what wettens the clothes irrespective of whether difficulty therein or not due to what was narrated that the Prophet (saw) joined in the rain and there was nothing between his room and the mosque. And irrespective whether he were in the mosque or the house, and irrespective of whether the rain was falling, because the hadith is not (based upon the) reason of difficulty so it is taken (tawqifiyya). And because no text came with his being in the mosque or not so it remains absolute/unrestricted (mutlaq). Not to mention that it is established by the Messenger (saw) "would join in the houses of his wives to the mosque" and because the hadith says ?a rainy day?, ?in rain? and the surmise (ihtimal) of Ayyub Al-Sakhtiyani in which he said "a rainy night". The intention of this is that the time of rain not that rain was falling during the ihram of prayer. And because the cause of joining which is the permitting excuse of joining the prayer when it exists permits the joining absolutely like travel. Similarly rain when it exists permits the joining absolutely whether there was the difficulty therein or not and whether it were in the mosque or not.

However, as for other than Arafah and Muzdalifah, travel and rain joining is not permitted at all and no analogy is done upon it with the pretext of difficulty due to the absence of a legislative reason ('illah) for joining and because difficulty did not come as a Shari?ah 'illah in the texts.

Akham As-Salat, Sheikh T.Nabahani
    "By Allah, I shall destroy the Romans and the friends of Satan with Khalid bin Al Walid."
    Caliph Abu Bakr. (633 A.D)

Quote Originally Posted by neelu View Post
    What is the hanafi opinion on this? And does this mean that combining can only be done at the time of the earlier prayer or can it also be prayed at the later time (ie at asr instead of at zuhr)? Oh and one other thing; what you mentioned in your post was regarding the difficulty of prayers when there is rain due to the paths turning to mud etc, if anyone can confirm inshAllah, I'd also like to know if these circumstances (ie muddy streets) are a reason in themselves for combining prayers during rain, or would the permissibility to combine prayers during rain still be applicable where there are no muddy paths and the prayers can be conducted easily in spite of the rain?
    Salaam

As far as im aware, I dont think the Hanafi fiqh allows combination in rain. Happy to be corrected though.

Walaykum salam,

A long time ago, I heard that some branches of hanafi did permit combining prayers (and some didn't)- so it's a difference of opinion within hanafis themselves. Allahu alam.

Salaam,

I think there maybe some from the Hanafi school of thought that allow for combination of prayers when travelling. I dont think they combine for rain. Allahu Alam. It will be good if someone has any information on this.

Wasalaam

Quote Originally Posted by UPPERCUT View Post
    Salaam,

I think there maybe some from the Hanafi school of thought that allow for combination of prayers when travelling. I dont think they combine for rain. Allahu Alam. It will be good if someone has any information on this.

Wasalaam
    People go on what they hear and repeat, which is probably where this came from.
    Hanafis don't combine while travelling or in bad weather. Please check Al-Hidyah volume 1 or qudoori

+ Reply to Thread